Statewide Transportation Improvement Program
The Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) is Virginia’s federally required four-year program that identifies the transportation projects (highway, passenger rail, freight, public transit, bicycle and pedestrian) that will utilize federal transportation funding or require approval from either the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) or Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
The program must include all projects in an urbanized area that are included in an MPO’s TIP (Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Improvement Program) as well as federally funded projects in the rural areas of Virginia. Currently there are fifteen MPO areas.
For more information about each MPO’s TIP, please click the corresponding link for the area.
- Bristol MPO – Bristol District
- Kingsport MPO – Bristol District
- Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO – Culpeper District
- Fredericksburg MPO – Fredericksburg District
- Hampton Roads TPO
- Central Virginia MPO – Lynchburg District
- Danville MPO – Lynchburg District
- National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board – NoVa District
- Richmond MPO – Richmond District
- Tri-Cities MPO – Richmond District
- Roanoke Valley MPO – Salem District
- New River Valley MPO (Formerly Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Montgomery MPO) – Salem District
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham MPO – Staunton District
- Staunton/Augusta/Waynesboro MPO (SAW) – Staunton District
- WinFred MPO (Winchester) – Staunton District
Federal regulations require each state to produce a STIP at least once every four years; however, VDOT updates their STIP every three years to ensure the program never lapses. Federal regulations require that the STIP demonstrate fiscal constraint to show that the state is not scheduling more transportation projects for construction than it has funding for.
Virginia provides many opportunities for the public to provide input on transportation projects and priorities as part of the continuing transportation planning process for the development of the STIP and the state required Six-Year Improvement Program. Comments were received and incorporated as a result of federally required public involvement for each MPO’s TIP, the Fall Transportation Meetings and Spring Public Hearings. On Sept. 30, 2014, the FHWA and FTA approved the federal Fiscal Year 2015 - 18 STIP.
Federal Fiscal Years 2015 – 2018 STIP
- Letter of approval from the FHWA and FTA (PDF; 2 MB)
- Federal Fiscal Year 2015 - 18 STIP report (PDF; 6 MB)
- Live federal Fiscal Year 2015 – 2018 STIP report
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP (PDF; 1.7 MB)
Federal Fiscal Years 2012 – 2015 STIP
- Letter of approval (10 MB) signed Sept. 30, 2011, from the Federal Highway Administration approving the Fiscal Years 2012 – 15 STIP
- Fiscal Years 2012 - 15 STIP report (5 MB)
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP
- 2008 FHWA-VDOT/DRPT Memorandum of Agreement