Statewide Transportation Improvement Program
The Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) is Virginia’s federally required four-year program that identifies the transportation projects (highway, passenger rail, freight, public transit, bicycle and pedestrian) that will utilize federal transportation funding or require approval from either the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) or Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
The program must include all projects in an urbanized area that are included in an MPO’s TIP (Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Improvement Program) as well as federally funded projects in the nonmetropolitan areas of Virginia. Currently there are fifteen MPO areas.
For more information about each MPO’s TIP, please click the corresponding link for the area.
- Bristol MPO – Bristol District
- Charlottesville-Albemarle MPO – Culpeper District
- Fredericksburg MPO – Fredericksburg District
- Hampton Roads TPO
- Central Virginia MPO – Lynchburg District
- Danville MPO – Lynchburg District
- National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board – NoVa District
- Richmond MPO – Richmond District
- Tri-Cities MPO – Richmond District
- Roanoke Valley MPO – Salem District
- New River Valley MPO (Formerly Blacksburg/Christiansburg/Montgomery MPO) – Salem District
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham MPO – Staunton District
- Staunton/Augusta/Waynesboro MPO (SAW) – Staunton District
- WinFred MPO (Winchester) – Staunton District
Federal regulations require each state to produce a STIP at least once every four years; however, Virginia updates their STIP every three years to ensure the program never lapses. Federal regulations require that the STIP demonstrate fiscal constraint to show that the state is not scheduling more transportation projects for construction than it has funding for.
Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 2021 STIP
VDOT and DRPT developed Virginia’s STIP for Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 2021. VDOT and DRPT worked in cooperation with the MPOs to update their TIPs which are included without change into Virginia’s STIP. VDOT and DRPT were also in cooperation with transportation planning officials in nonmetropolitan areas on inclusion of federally funded projects in the nonmetropolitan areas of Virginia.
Virginia provides many opportunities for the public to provide input on transportation projects and priorities as part of the continuing transportation planning process for the development of the STIP and the state required Six-Year Improvement Program.
On September 29, 2017 the FHWA and FTA approved the Federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 2021 STIP.
In accordance with federal requirements, the 2018 – 2021 STIP has been modified to meet the following Performance Based Planning and Programming requirements:
- Safety performance measures
- Transit asset management
These modifications were prepared as an addendum to the STIP Appendix E: Performance Based Planning and Programming.
- Letter of approval from the FHWA and FTA
- Letter Removing Conditional Planning Finding
- Federal Fiscal Years 2018 - 2021 STIP report
- Live federal Fiscal Years 2018 – 2021 STIP report
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP
- 2008 FHWA-VDOT/DRPT Memorandum of Agreement
- STIP Grouping Tracking Sheets
VDOT and FHWA maintain a shared site for exchange of information between agencies on various processes. On the shared site, VDOT staff updates and maintains project information on tracking sheets for authorized project phases included in a STIP grouping as various actions are submitted on projects in FHWA’s Fiscal Management Information System (FMIS). Below are the FFY 2018-2021 STIP Grouping Tracking Sheets as of July 16, 2018. STIP Grouping Tracking Sheets will be updated and posted quarterly.
Federal Fiscal Years 2015 – 2018 STIP
As a result of federally required public involvement for each MPO’s TIP, the Fall Transportation Meetings and Spring Public Hearings, comments were received and incorporated into the Federal Fiscal Years 2015 – 2018 STIP. On Sept. 30, 2014, the FHWA and FTA approved the federal Fiscal Years 2015 - 18 STIP.
- Letter of approval from the FHWA and FTA (PDF; 2 MB)
- Federal Fiscal Years 2015 - 18 STIP report (PDF; 6 MB)
- Department of Rail and Public Transportation STIP (PDF; 1.7 MB)
- STIP Grouping Tracking Sheets – FFY 2015-2018 Final
Information on the STIP from previous years is available upon request.