Michelle Earl 276-696-3283
Feb. 2, 2018
4 a.m. February 2, 2018: Snow Travel Advisory
BRISTOL— The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is advising drivers to allow extra travel time this morning due to overnight snowfall in southwestern Virginia.
VDOT crews in southwestern Virginia are reporting the following road conditions as of 4 a.m.:
- Scattered snow and ice patches on Interstate 81 in Washington, Smyth and Wythe counties, as well as Interstate 77 in Wythe and Bland counties.
- Snow-covered sections of roadway on the majority of primary and secondary highways (routes numbered 600+) in Tazewell County.
- In Russell County, Routes 19, 67, 80 and the majority of secondary routes are snow-covered. Alternate Route 58 and Routes 63, 65, 71 and 82 have scattered snow and ice patches.
- Routes 160, 68, 78 and the majority of secondary highways in Wise County are snow-covered.
- Scattered snow and ice patches on the majority of primary roads in Scott, Dickenson, Buchanan, Washington, Bland, Grayson, Wythe and Smyth counties. Most secondary highways in these counties are snow-covered
- The majority of highways in Lee County have scattered snow and ice patches.
Travelers can get real-time information on road conditions, traffic incidents and congestion on Virginia roads by using VDOT’s 511 free mobile app or the www.511Virginia.org website and phone system, which can help travelers plan their routes accordingly.
The Bristol District includes the counties of Bland, Wythe, Tazewell, Grayson, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Washington, Wise, Dickenson, Lee and Scott counties. (END)
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.