Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
June 22, 2017
REMINDER: I-95 NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC STOPS TONIGHT IN STAFFORD COUNTY
Overhead sign installation will stop all I-95 northbound traffic for up to 20 minutes at a time between midnight and 3 a.m. on Friday, June 23 near Exit 143 (Route 610)
FREDERICKSBURG – Multiple Interstate 95 work zones in the Fredericksburg area continue to require overnight lane closures this evening, including a work zone on I-95 northbound that will stop traffic for up to 20 minutes at a time.
Motorists will encounter double lane closures at various locations along I-95 northbound and southbound in Stafford County and Spotsylvania County. All of the work zones will require I-95 to be reduced to a single lane overnight.
Additionally, multiple I-95 southbound ramps at Exit 133 (Route 17) in Stafford will be closed overnight for paving.
Drivers are advised to consider using Route 1 or other alternate routes to avoid delays in the I-95 corridor in the Fredericksburg region.
The following lane closures are planned for this evening and early Friday, June 23, weather permitting:
I-95 Northbound at I-95 Express Lanes Southern Terminus Extension, Stafford County
- Single lane closure at 9 p.m. between Exit 140 (Courthouse Road) and Exit 143 (Route 610)
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m.
- Between midnight and 3 a.m. full traffic stops for up to 20 minutes at a time
- All lanes open by 4:30 a.m.
Crews are installing overhead signs as part of a 2.5 mile extension of I-95 Express Lanes from its current southern terminus. Virginia State Police will assist with traffic control throughout this work zone.
I-95 Southbound at Exit 133/Route 17, Stafford County
- 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Double lane closure near Exit 133 (Route 17/Falmouth)
This pavement repair work zone will begin just north of Exit 133/Route 17 in Stafford. Crews are milling and paving approximately one mile of pavement from Exit 133 to the bridge over the Rappahannock River.
Exit 133/Route 17 interchange, Stafford County
- 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Route 17 northbound and southbound traffic will not be able to enter I-95 southbound from Exit 133. Both ramps will be closed for paving. Additionally, the exit ramp to Route 17 Business/Falmouth from I-95 southbound will be closed. I-95 southbound traffic can still use the exit ramp at this interchange to access Route 17 northbound.
Interstate 95 Southbound at Ni River Bridge (mile marker 121), Spotsylvania County
- Single lane closure at 9 p.m. near mile marker 121 (Ni River bridge) south of Exit 126 (Route 1/Massaponax)
- Double lane closure at 10 p.m.
- All lanes open by 7 a.m.
Crews will continue their work to rehabilitate this bridge’s condition.
Motorists can find real-time information on work zones, traffic, incidents and lane closures on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.