Kelly Hannon 540-374-3344
Jan. 11, 2018
TRAFFIC SHIFTS SCHEDULED FOR I-95 NORTHBOUND AT EXIT 140
Traffic exiting and entering I-95 northbound at Route 630 (Courthouse Road) in Stafford County will be shifted onto new ramps starting overnight on Thursday, Jan. 18
FREDERICKSBURG – Traffic entering and exiting Interstate 95 northbound at Exit 140 (Courthouse Road) in Stafford County will shifted onto new, temporary ramps starting overnight on Thursday, Jan. 18.
The new ramps are parallel to the existing entrance and exit ramps. Shifting traffic slightly onto the temporary ramps will provide space for crews to build bridge abutments as part of the new diverging diamond interchange under construction at Exit 140. Construction began in summer 2017 and will be completed in summer 2020.
Travelers can anticipate lane closures at the following dates and times next week in connection with the traffic shift at the ramps:
Wednesday, Jan. 17 – Friday, Jan. 19
- Courthouse Road near the Exit 140 interchange – single lane closure. Courthouse Road will be reduced to one lane from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily on Wednesday, Jan. 17 through Friday, Jan. 19. Crews will perform overhead traffic signal work in connection with the interchange ramp shift. One-way, alternating traffic will be directed through the work zone by a flagging crew.
Thursday, Jan. 18 – Friday, Jan. 19
- I-95 northbound, mile marker 140 – single lane closure. I-95 northbound will be reduced to two lanes from 10 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 18 to 5 a.m. Friday, Jan. 19. Crews will be installing concrete barrier along the interstate and temporary entrance and exit ramps.Motorists should follow direction from crews at scene as traffic is guided onto the ramps. Law enforcement officials will be present to provide traffic control.
- Courthouse Road near the Exit 140 interchange – single lane closure. Courthouse Road will be reduced to one lane from 8 p.m. Thursday to 5 a.m. Friday for overhead traffic signal work in connection with the interchange ramp shift. One-way, alternating traffic will be directed through the work zone by a flagging crew.
Courthouse Road Widening
Widening work also continues to expand Courthouse Road to four lanes west of I-95 to Ramoth Church Road. Next week, drivers can anticipate single lane closures on Courthouse Road west of I-95 between Cedar Lane and Walpole Street at the following dates and times:
- Tuesday, Jan. 16 – Single lane closure from noon to 2 p.m. for grading and pipe work. One-way, alternating traffic will be directed through the work zone by a flagging crew.
- Wednesday, Jan. 17 – Thursday, Jan. 18 – Single lane closure 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 19 – Single lane closure 8:30 a.m. to noon.
Winding Creek Road will be reduced to a single lane from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17 and Thursday, Jan. 18 near Courthouse Road for pipe work.
When the combined $185.3 million widening and interchange effort is finished in summer 2020, Courthouse Road will intersect with Route 1 at Hospital Center Boulevard.
Exit 140 will open with new bridges and ramps in a diverging diamond interchange (DDI). In a diverging diamond interchange, vehicles are briefly shifted to the opposite side of the road, controlled by traffic signals. The DDI improves safety by reducing the number of spots where vehicles could collide, and can handle more left-turn movements per hour, twice the capacity of a conventional interchange.
Additional project details are available online at www.virginiadot.org/exit140.
Motorists can find real-time information on work zones, traffic, incidents and lane closures on 511Virginia.
VDOT’s 14-county Fredericksburg District includes the counties of Caroline, King George, Spotsylvania and Stafford in the Fredericksburg area; Northumberland, Richmond, Lancaster and Westmoreland counties in the Northern Neck; Essex, Gloucester, King & Queen, King William, Mathews and Middlesex counties in the Middle Peninsula.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.