Jeanene Harris 703-259-2420
571-249-9704 (cell) Jeanene.Harris@vdot.virginia.gov
Jenni McCord 703-259-1779
April 1, 2015
WALNEY ROAD BRIDGE DETOUR BEGINS APRIL 13
Closure through Sept. 1 for bridge replacement
CHANTILLY—Beginning Monday, April 13, Walney Road will close to thru traffic between Westfields Boulevard and Mariah Court while the Virginia Department of Transportation replaces the bridge over Flatlick Branch and relocates the existing sanitary sewer line. The road will re-open to one lane of traffic in each direction by September 1, 2015.
Details on the detour:
• Drivers will be detoured via Westfields Boulevard, Route 28 and Willard Road (see detour map).
• The detour will add an estimated five minutes to commute time.
• Signals in the project area will be adjusted to assist traffic to flow as needed.
• All adjacent private and commercial entrances will be maintained during the project.
• Variable message signs will be placed to notify the traveling public.
• The bridge will open to one lane of vehicular traffic in each direction by September 1.
The $14.9 million project widens Walney Road from two to four lanes near Willard Road to help improve safety and ease congestion, as well as replaces the 85-foot-long bridge in Fairfax County. Walney Road will keep two 12-foot travel lanes in each direction, and will be widened to include five-foot bike lanes in both directions, a sidewalk on the west side and a shared-use path on the east side.
The project is being constructed by American Infrastructure (AI), and is expected to be complete in December 2015.
The Walney Road bridge was built in 1980 and is now functionally obsolete. The road carries more than 21,000 vehicles a day.
Follow VDOT Northern Virginia on Twitter: @vadotnova
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.