Jason Bond 540-387-5493
March 18, 2015
BOARD AWARDS CONTRACT FOR INTERSTATE 81 EXIT 150 IMPROVEMENTS IN BOTETOURT COUNTY
SALEM – The Commonwealth Transportation Board at its March 18 meeting in Richmond awarded a contract worth approximately $17.9 million to Roanoke-based contractor Branch Highways for a project to improve traffic flow, enhance safety and eliminate congestion at Interstate 81’s exit 150 in Botetourt County.
The project entails the following improvements around the intersection of Route 11, Route 220 and Route 220 Alternate:
• Creating a dedicated exit 150B northbound off-ramp with northbound Route 220 that will accommodate the heaviest traffic movement at the Route 11/220/220A intersection
• Building a new northbound I-81 on-ramp from northbound Route 220 adjacent to exit 150B to provide safer access
• Modifying exit 150A to allow right turns onto Route 11 southbound only and eliminate hazardous merge/weaves
• Providing a roundabout to enhance traffic flow and increase capacity at the exit 150B/Route 11 intersection
• Replacing Route 11’s center turn lane with a raised median with no left turns allowed between exit 150B and the Route 11/220/220A intersection
• Constructing Gateway Crossing, a new connection between Route 11 and Route 220A
Construction on the improvement project is expected to start in late spring 2015. Estimated completion is fall 2017 with remaining incidental work completed by summer 2018.
For more information about the Interstate 81 exit 150 improvements, visit VDOT’s website at http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/salem/i-81_exit_150_improvement_project.asp.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.