Jen Ward 540-387-5238
June 9, 2017
TRAFFIC ALERT: EXTENDED LANE AND RAMP CLOSURES BEGIN TONIGHT ON INTERSTATE 81 IN ROANOKE AND BOTETOURT COUNTY
SALEM, VA – Weather permitting, extended lane and ramp closures have been scheduled on I-81 over the next two weeks in Roanoke and Botetourt County for paving and bridge deck repairs.
Beginning tonight, Friday, June 9, a ramp closure and a right lane closure will be in place on I-81 as milling and paving operations are performed from mile marker 149 to 152 in Botetourt County. The extended weekend lane closures are scheduled as follows:
- Friday, June 9, right lane closure from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 a.m. the following morning.
- Saturday, June 10, right lane closure from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. the following morning.
- Friday, June 16, right lane closure from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 a.m. the following morning.
- Saturday, June 17, right lane closure from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. the following morning.
In addition, the on ramp to I-81 north from Route 220 will be closed from 8 p.m. to 12 midnight during the extended lane closures. Drivers at the exit 150 interchange requiring access to northbound I-81 will need to use Route 11 to return to I-81 north at the exit 156 on ramp. A detour for access to Route 11 is currently in place at this interchange and signs are posted to guide motorists.
Beginning tomorrow night, June 10, bridge deck repairs over Route 619 (Wildwood Road) on I-81 at mile marker 137 to 140 will require an extended 16 hour lane closure during the following times:
- Saturday, June 10, I-81 southbound right lane closed from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. the following morning.
- Friday, June 16, I-81 northbound right lane closed from 7 p.m. to 11a.m. the following morning.
- Saturday, June 17, I-81 southbound right lane closed from 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. the following morning.
Drivers should expect and are encouraged to use alternate routes when possible to alleviate congestion on I-81. These projects are expected to be completed in fall 2017.
For the latest information on this closure, visit www.511Virginia.org or follow us on Twitter at @VaDOTSalem.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.