VDOT News - Salem
Jen Ward 540-387-5238
Aug. 21, 2019
TRAFFIC ALERT: INTERSTATE 81 SLOPE REPAIRS IN MONTGOMERY COUNTY SCHEDULED TO BEGIN NEXT WEEK
Slow-moving traffic in the area is possible
SALEM – Beginning next week of August 25, a rock scaling operation will be performed to repair a slope on I-81between mile markers 126 and 127.
Slope repairs will be performed during daytime hours and will remain behind the barrier wall on the shoulder. Shoulder closures and lane shifts will be in place on the three lane section of roadway. Lane widths will be reduced from 12 feet to 11 feet.
Nighttime paving operations will be performed during extended hours between 8 p.m. at night to 12 p.m. the following day to pave the inside shoulder and install one mile of barrier wall between mile markers 126 and 127 on the following days and times:
- Sunday, August 25 at 8 p.m. through Monday, August 26 at 12 p.m. (noon)
- Monday, August 26 at 8 p.m. through Tuesday, August 27 at 12 p.m. (noon)
- Tuesday, August 27 at 8 p.m. through Wednesday, August 28 at 12 p.m. (noon)
Pavement marking will be performed during the following week during the following days and times:
- Tuesday, September 3 at 8 p.m. through Wednesday, September 4 at 12 p.m. (noon)
- Wednesday, September 4 at 8 p.m. through Thursday, September 5 at 6 a.m.
- Thursday, September 5 at 8 p.m. through Friday, September 6 at 6 a.m.
Rock scaling operations involve the use of heavy machinery and drivers may experience slower than normal traffic flow in the area. Motorists are encouraged to plan their travel accordingly.
Traffic will remain shifted in this formation through November 2019.
For the latest information on this closure, visit www.511Virginia.org or follow us on Twitter at @VaDOTSalem.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.