VDOT News - Salem
Jen Ward 540-387-5238
Jan. 16, 2022
SALEM DISTRICT: VDOT WARNS DRIVERS OF HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS AS ROADS REMAIN COVERED IN SNOW AND ICE
Continue to avoid travel as roads remain snow covered and icy
- Snowplow drivers are making multiple passes over interstates, primary roads and some high-volume secondary roads, but snow, freezing rain and sleet continue to fall and cover roads again.
- Low-volume secondary roads and neighborhood streets (those numbered 600 and above) are covered with deep snow. Below freezing temperatures overnight will cause these routes to freeze.
- High winds may cause drifting snow or down trees.
- Avoid travel. Plowed roads are covering again with snow. Road conditions will not improve until the snow stops and operators can make more progress.
- Park off the road to allow plows to clear the road ahead. Avoid parking in the street or in cul-de-sacs to make it easier for snowplow drivers when plows head to your neighborhood.
- Shovel to the right when facing the road, so less snow is pushed back into driveways when plows start working on these routes.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.