Tamara Rollison 804-786-2715
Feb. 14, 2015
HIGH WINDS, EXTREME COLD AND SLICK ROADS
Download 511 mobile app to monitor road conditions
RICHMOND – Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) reports minor to moderate road conditions in the western region of the state along the I-81 corridor and in the northern Culpeper and Fredericksburg regions. Motorists should prepare for high winds and extreme cold across the state.
VDOT crews treat roads with appropriate materials to reduce icing. Wet surfaces from snow or rain quickly freeze, making for potentially slick driving conditions.
- Watch for high winds – 40 to 50 miles per hour through Sunday morning; high winds can down trees and power lines and cause traffic signal outages
- Prepare for extreme cold temperatures
- Have extra blankets, food, water and backup power for phones when traveling
- Drive with extreme caution as snow and moisture freeze, causing slick driving conditions, particularly on bridges and overpasses
- Monitor weather reports
- Visit http://www.511virginia.org/for the latest road conditions
- Call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-367-ROAD (7623) to report downed trees, debris and traffic outages
You can also stay informed by monitoring VDOT’s social media channels.