Greg Bilyeu 804-786-4243
Tamara Rollison 804-786-2715
Nov. 17, 2016
LANE CLOSURES LIFTED OVER THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
Travel-trends map helps motorists plan the best time to drive
RICHMOND, Virginia – If you plan to travel over Thanksgiving, the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) travel-trends map can help you determine the best times to drive during the holiday period.
To make travel easier, VDOT will be lifting lane closures where possible during the holiday period. If you’re looking for real-time traffic information, 511virginia.org can help through the long Thanksgiving weekend, and every day.
VDOT will suspend most highway work zones and lift lane closures on interstates and other major roads in Virginia from noon Wednesday, Nov. 23, until noon Monday, Nov. 28.
TRAVEL-TREND MAP HELPS PREDICT PEAK CONGESTION
VDOT’s online, interactive travel-trends map shows peak congestion periods on Virginia interstates during the three previous Thanksgiving holidays (2013-2015). For the first time, this year’s map shows expected congestion in northern Virginia on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving as well.
The map shows varying amounts of interstate traffic by time of day, using red for heavy congestion, yellow for moderate congestion and green for little or no congestion.
To use the map, slide the button along the date bar at the top of the map to update predicted traffic information at half-hour intervals between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m. for each day. You also can zoom and pan to specific areas of the state.
- Based on the traffic data, periods of heavy congestion was most likely to occur from mid-morning to evening on Wednesday and Sunday. In addition, routes to to/from NOVA are likely to be congested mid-morning to evening on Tuesday.
- US-1 and other popular arterials with access to shopping are likely to be congested throughout the weekend.
REAL-TIME TRAFFIC INFORMATION ON 511
Real-time information about traffic, incidents and congestion on Virginia roads is available at 511Virginia.org. Download the free mobile VDOT 511 app, or call 511 from any phone. To report a road problem or get answers to your transportation questions, call VDOT’s Customer Service Center at 800-FOR-ROAD (800-367-7623) around the clock.
NORTHERN VIRGINIA HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE (HOV) SCHEDULE AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- I-66 and I-395 – HOV restrictions will be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 24. . Normal HOV restrictions remain on Friday, Nov. 25. Monument Drive and Stringfellow Road HOV ramps are open westbound to all traffic. For more information on northern Virginia HOV schedules, visit www.virginiadot.org/travel/hov-novasched.asp.
- Direction schedule for the Interstate 95 Express Lanes/I-395 reversible lanes:
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 – Lanes close northbound at 10 a.m., open to southbound traffic at 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 24 − Lanes close southbound at midnight, open to northbound traffic at 2 a.m. and remain northbound throughout the Thanksgiving Day.
- Friday, Nov. 25 – Lanes resume normal schedule of northbound closure at 11 a.m., open to southbound traffic at 2 p.m.
For information on the 95 and 495 Express Lanes schedules and rules visit www.expresslanes.com. Drivers are reminded that they need an E-ZPass Flex (for HOV-3 to ride toll-free) or an E-ZPass to use the lanes at all times.
HAMPTON ROADS HOV SCHEDULE, TUNNELS AND OTHER INFORMATION:
- I-64/I-264/I-564 HOV diamond lanes – HOV restrictions will be lifted on all HOV diamond lanes on Thursday, Nov. 24.
- I-64 reversible lanes – Schedule remains the same. HOV restrictions will be lifted on Thursday, Nov. 24.
- I-64 Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) – Local traffic to Virginia Beach is encouraged to use the I-664 Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (MMMBT) as an alternative to the HRBT. To Virginia Beach, take I-664 south to the MMMBT. Then take the Portsmouth/Norfolk exit (exit 15A) to I-264 east to Virginia Beach.
- Travel to Outer Banks – Local traffic to the North Carolina Outer Banks should use I-664 and the MMMBT to save time. From I-664 south, take I-64 west to exit 292, Chesapeake Expressway/I-464/Route 17. Keep left to continue to the Chesapeake Expressway (Route 168), and take Nags Head/Great Bridge (exit 291B) to the Outer Banks.
- Highway Advisory Radio (HAR) – Tune to 1680 AM to stay informed on Hampton Roads traffic, travel conditions and construction information.
THREE I-95 REST AREAS AT LADYSMITH, SKIPPERS OPEN WITH TEMPORARY FACILITIES
Three rest areas, two in Caroline County on northbound and southbound I-95 at Ladysmith and another on northbound I-95 in Greensville County at Skippers, were demolished in April and are being reconstructed. While new rest areas are being built, temporary restroom facilities will be available at these sites.
WORK ZONES AND OTHER TRAFFIC ALERTS
While VDOT will lift most lane closures for holiday travel, motorists may encounter permanent work zones or travel delays in the following locations:
Route 609 – Road closed for widening project in the Town of Onley. Follow detour.
Route 709 – Road closed for widening project. Follow detour.
U.S. 13 – Improving drainage in the Town of Onley. Traffic reduced to single lane in both directions.
- Narrowed lanes and shoulder closures between Route 643 (Polo Grounds Road) and Route 1719 (Towncenter Drive). Speed limit in work zone reduced to 40 mph.
- New traffic pattern on Route 29 at Route 631 (Rio Road). Motorists should follow directional signs. Speed limit in work zone reduced to 35 mph. More information: www.Route29Solutions.org.
U.S. 501 – Replacing bridge at Route 130 intersection over James River. Two-way traffic on new bridge. Temporary signal in use.
I-85 – Repairing bridge over railroad at mile marker 28. Traffic limited to one lane both directions. Ramp from I-85 north to Route 1 closed. Ramp from Route 1 south to I-85 south closed. Follow posted detours.
I-81 – Reconstructing the eastern section of the exit 150 interchange at the intersections of Route 11 and Route 220 Alternate. Exit 150B off-ramp from I-81 northbound onto Route 11 is narrowed and reduced to one lane. Width restriction in place. The right turn lane on the off-ramp will be closed from the deceleration lane off of I-81 to the merge of the ramp onto Route 11 toward Route 220.
Route 20 – Replacing bridge over Slate River. Speed limit in work zone reduced to 45 mph.
Route 29 – Repairing bridge over Otter River. Traffic restricted to one lane.
U.S. 460 – Constructing turn lane eastbound at Route 656. Lane closures in place.
Route 288 – Paving roadway. Single alternating lane closures both directions between Courthouse Rd. and I-95 on Monday, Nov. 28 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Route 29 – Constructing restricted crossing U-turn intersection at Route 718 (Mountain Run Lake Road). Median crossover closed at intersection. Follow detour.
Route 245 – Replacing bridge over Broad Run. Traffic restricted to one lane controlled by temporary signals.
I-81 – Reconstructing interchange at exit 310. Shoulders closed. Speed limit through work zone reduced to 60 mph.
U.S. 301 – Replacing southbound bridge over rail tracks north of Emporia. Traffic detoured to I-95.
U.S. 501 – Constructing right turn lanes at U.S. Route 40 and Route 632. Lane closures possible.
Isle of Wight County
U.S. 58 – Replacing bridge over rail tracks and Route 632. Follow detour.
Route 621 – Replacing bridge over Passenger Swamp. Road closed. Follow detour.
Route 680 – Replacing bridge of Stallings Creek. Road closed. Follow detour.
Route 29/460 – Constructing safety improvements from Concord Turnpike to Candlers Mountain Road in both directions. Speed limit in work zone reduced to 45 mph.
Route 230 – Replacing bridge over Conway River. Traffic restricted to one lane controlled by temporary signals.
I-64 – Widening interstate. Trucks traveling westbound restricted to right lane between Jefferson Avenue (exit 255) and Yorktown Road (exit 247).
Route 29 – Replacing bridge over railroad tracks. Route 29/803 connection temporarily relocated. Southbound detour in place.
I-264 – Constructing Martin Luther King (MLK) Extension. Right lane closed on I-264 westbound between Effingham Street and Frederick Boulevard. Two lanes will remain open to traffic.
I-64 – Rehabilitating Maury River bridges. Westbound traffic will detour across median to eastbound lanes between mile markers 53.3 and 55.3. Traffic both directions restricted to single lane and will use eastbound bridge during work on westbound bridge. Speed limit through work zone reduced to 55 mph.
Route 35 – Replacing bridge in Boykins. Traffic reduced to single lane in both directions. Temporary signal in place.
U.S. 58 Business – Reconstructing roadway in Courtland. Single lane closures in both directions.
I-95 – Extending the 95 Express Lanes south of exit 143 (Route 610/Garrisonville). All travel lanes open; concrete barriers in place along the shoulder northbound and southbound in work zone.
Route 301 – Replacing bridge over Nottoway River. Detour in place.
I-81 – Reconstructing interchange at exit 14. Lanes shifted due to bridge reconstruction at exit. Speed limit through work zone reduced to 60 mph.
I-81 – Reconstructing two interstate bridges over Halls Bottom Road near exit 10. Speed limit through work zone reduced to 60 mph.
Route 340 – Replacing bridge over South River. Road closed between Constitution Park and East Avenue. Through traffic will use Broad Street (Route 250) as detour.
I-77/I-81 overlap – High traffic volumes could slow or stop vehicles through this eight-mile stretch. Be alert for delays on northbound I-77 at the I-81 merge.
Information in VDOT news releases was accurate at the time the release was published. For the most current information about projects or programs, please visit the project or program Web pages. You may find those by searching by keyword in the search Virginia DOT box above.