Interstate 81 Exit 14 ramp improvements and bridge reconstruction
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
W-L Construction and Paving Inc., Chilhowie, Virginia
John Dew, P.E., Area Construction Engineer
What's Happening Now?
Work is underway to reconstruct Interstate 81 exit 14 to better accommodate traffic volumes and to replace the north and southbound I-81 bridges at exit 14.
W-L Construction and Paving, Inc., Chilhowie, was awarded the contract to reconstruct the I-81 Exit 14 interchange in late 2015 and work began January 2016. Construction is valued at approximately $36.4 million.
The project includes:
- reconstruction of I-81 before and after the interchange
- replace the I-81 bridges over Route 647 (Old Jonesboro Road)
- reconstruction of the on and off ramps at Exit 14
- reconstruction of Jonesboro Road to provide two through lanes in each direction with a raised median and dual left turn lanes for the I-81 northbound entrance ramp
- Installation of two traffic signals where I-81 ramps intersect with Jonesboro Road
- construct a retaining wall between I-81 and a portion of Dennison Drive
Be alert to the possibility of daytime and nighttime lane closures on Old Jonesboro Road, as well as the possibility of nighttime lane closures on I-81 north and south.
The I-81 southbound off ramp will be closed for a period of two weeks in early August, following the Virginia Highlands Festival.
View the roadway design here.