Forest Mills Road over Crooked Run
|Bridge replacement in western Loudoun County|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Michael Gleasman, P.E.
Note: The project was completed and the bridge opened to traffic in October 2017.
About the Project
The project replaced the Forest Mills Road (Route 727) bridge over Crooked Run.
The 68-foot long original bridge was built in 1932. It was a single-lane structure comprised of two steel spans with a timber deck. The superstructure was supported on rubble masonry piers and abutments. The bridge was a candidate for federal funds for replacement.
The bridge was replaced by a new single-lane structure. Safety was improved with higher railings on the bridge, as well as the addition of guardrails on the bridge approaches. The length and alignment of the new structure is similar to the previous bridge.
This project was designed using federal guidelines for very low-volume local roads (less than 400 vehicles a day).
The bridge has an average traffic count of 230 vehicles per day, and a projected count of 300 vehicles per day in 2027.
Engineering of roadway plans: $716,000
Right of way acquisition, relocation assistance & utility relocation: $130,000
Construction: $2.1 million
Total: $2.9 million