Route 606/Loudoun County Parkway/Old Ox Road
|Reconstruction and Widening|
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Loudoun Co Pkwy open to traffic: Sept. 2017
Lengths and Limits
Evergreen Mills Road to the Dulles Greenway
Note: Beaver Meadow Road between Old Ox Road and Rock Haven Way is closed to all traffic, weather permitting until 5 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 21 for roadway reconstruction. Traffic is being detoured via Old Ox Road, Trade Center Place and Rock Haven Way back to Beaver Meadow Road.
Freeport Place between Old Ox Road and Rogerdale Place, and Trade Center Place between Old Ox Road and Rock Haven Way will be closed to all traffic, weather permitting, from 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 23 to 5 a.m. Monday, Feb. 26, and 9 p.m. Friday, March 2 to 5 a.m. Monday, March 5 for roadway reconstruction. Freeport Place traffic will be detoured via Old Ox Road, Stukely Drive and Rogerdale Place back to Freeport Place; Trade Center Place traffic will be detoured via Old Ox Road, Beaver Meadow Road and Rock Haven Way back to Trade Center Place.
Four lanes of Old Ox Road at the eastern end of the project, between the Dulles Greenway and Commerce Center Court, opened to traffic in December 2017.
About the Project
Loudoun County Parkway / Old Ox Road (Route 606) connects two major roads, Route 50 and Route 28 (Sully Road), and is a desirable route for motorists from points west to access Ashburn, Sterling and Herndon.
The road is currently congested in both directions during peak hours.
This project is addressing the need to increase capacity on this section of road due to growth in the surrounding area and the resulting increase in traffic congestion.
The project is:
- Constructing the Loudoun County/Old Ox intersection, along with a mile-long section of the Parkway south to Dulles West Boulevard, and a short segment (800 feet) of the Parkway to the north approaching Broad Run.
- Reconstructing and widening existing Old Ox Road from a two-lane rural road to four lanes between Evergreen Mills Road (Route 621) and the Dulles Greenway (Route 267) (about five miles). This piece also includes provisions for bicyclists and pedestrians.
- The two-lane segment of westbound Old Ox Road from the Dulles Greenway to Commerce Center Court opened to traffic Dec. 21, 2017
- The two-lane segment of eastbound Old Ox Road from Commerce Center Court to the Dulles Greenway opened to traffic Dec.14, 2017.
- The four-lane segment of Old Ox Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Pebble Run Place opened to traffic Nov. 6, 2017.
- Loudoun County Parkway segment north of Old Ox Road opened to traffic, and the new traffic signal at Loudoun County Parkway and Old Ox Road began operating Sept. 6, 2017.
- Northbound Route 606 traffic shifted onto the new ramp spur at the new Loudoun County Parkway traffic signal Aug. 30, 2017.
Southbound Route 606 traffic shifted onto the new roadway from Pebble Run Place to Evergreen Mills Road June 25, 2017.
Northbound Route 606 traffic shifted onto the new roadway from Evergreen Mills Road to Pebble Run Place June 30, 2017.
The new roadway is carrying one lane of traffic in each direction, and will ultimately serve as the two southbound lanes once the two northbound lanes are constructed.
Completed and opened to traffic new Route 606 bridge over Horsepen Dam spillway just west of the Dulles Greenway in late April 2017 (temporarily open to both westbound and eastbound traffic, will be open only to westbound traffic in final configuration).
- Earthwork and storm sewer construction for new Route 606 lanes and bike trail
- Installation of new water main along Route 606
- Constructing stormwater management ponds throughout project
- Constructing the new Lightning Drive on the NOAA site and continuing to improve their facilities
- Signal work at intersections throughout the project
Drivers can expect some traffic shifts to allow for construction of drainage facilities and waterline crossings weekdays between 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times.
Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m., expect intermittent single lane closures with flagging for special work such as waterline crossings.
VDOT awarded the design-build contract to the Shirley/Dewberry team in May 2014 for approximately $77 million.
The Notice to Proceed (NTP) was issued in June 2014.
Survey and final design were the first items to occur following the NTP, with construction having begun in September 2015.
The project's Loudoun County Parkway segment opened to traffic in September 2017.
Old Ox Road opened in its new four-lane configuration at the southern end of the project between Evergreen Mills Road and Pebble Run Place in November 2017.
Old Ox Road open in its new four-lane configuration at the northern end of the project between Commerce Center Court and the Dulles Greenway in December 2017.
Four lanes open to traffic along the entire stretch of Old Ox Road, as well as final completion of the entire project, are scheduled to occur by summer 2018.
Planning for the widening of the Route 606 corridor between Route 50 and the Dulles Greenway has been ongoing since the early 1990s.
The first segment was implemented in 2002-03 with the reconstruction and widening between Route 50 and Evergreen Mills Road.
The project is implementing the ‘Interim Condition’ as described in Loudoun County’s Countywide Transportation Plan.
This plan calls for Route 606 to be a controlled-access, median-divided urban collector.
The ultimate condition as described in the Countywide Transportation Plan calls for a limited-access, median-divided urban arterial.
The proposed design implements the interim condition while enabling a future conversion to its ultimate condition.
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Loudoun County, Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and VDOT have jointly funded the project, which is being administered by VDOT.
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting presentation | Noise abatement guidelines | Noise abatement design study reports | Summary report of design public hearing | Public hearing brochure | Public hearing exhibits | Environmental assessment | Federal Highway Administration FONSI and FONSI rationale | Typical section
UPCs: 97529 (State Project Number: 0606-053-983,P101), 105064, 105575