Route 1 Widening
|Undergrounding utilities and widening in Prince William County|
Project at a Glance
About the Project
Route 1 is being widened from four to six lanes between Marys Way and Annapolis Way. The project includes the following:
- Enhanced access to the Woodbridge VRE kiss-and-ride facility
- A new Route 1 bridge at Marumsco Creek
- Improvements to Occoquan Road, including a median and turn lanes from U.S. 1 to south of Horner Road
- Additional through and turn lanes on Route 1 and Occoquan Road to improve traffic operations
- A ten-foot shared-use path and six-foot sidewalk
- Demolition of several vacant buildings along the corridor
Route 1 currently carries about 35,000 vehicles per day. Projected volumes for 2036 are 75,000 vehicles per day.
Drivers can expect daytime and nighttime lane closures on Route 1. Lane closures are required for paving, as well as to install water main, sewer, and drainage facilities. Bridge construction over Marumsco Creek, retaining wall work near Potomac Plaza, and excavation and grading work are ongoing. Drivers can expect lane shifts between Marumsco Creek and Occoquan Road this winter.
Daytime lane closures can be expected Mondays through Thursdays, 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Fridays, 9:30 a.m. to noon. Nighttime lane closures, when necessary, will be from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday to Friday, 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. Friday to Saturday, 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday to Sunday and 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday to Monday.
Motorists should expect delays and are advised to use alternate routes.
Total Estimated Cost
Preliminary Engineering: $13.9 million
Right of Way: $85.4 million
Utilities: Up to $12.1 million (Ductbank design and construction)
Widening: $56.4 million
Total: $167.8 million
"Pardon Our Dust" meeting for utilities ductbank (March 9, 2015)
Public Hearing (March 2011)
- Construction Plans for Phase 1 (6MB)
- Interchange Phase 2 Design Alternatives
- Alternative A - Dawson Beach Road full access at Route 1
- Alternative B - Dawson Beach Road partial access at Route 1 (preferred) (6MB)
- Typical Section Renderings
- Brochure and summary of comments
Prince William County Board Resolution for Undergrounding Utilities (Dec. 2013)
UPCs: 14693, 105798, 94102, 100938
State Projects: 0123-076-F29, 0001-076-171, 0123-076-004, 0123-076-080
Federal Project: STP-111-1(114)