In Design: John G. Lewis Memorial Bridge Rehabilitation in Loudoun County
Cost and schedule ►
Public outreach ►
Note: A design public hearing was held Dec. 5.
This project will rehabilitate the historic truss John G. Lewis Memorial Bridge that carries Featherbed Lane (Route 673) over Catoctin Creek. Conceptual Design Bridge Alternative 2A was the final rehabilitation option selected through consultations with stakeholders including the Virginia Department of Historic Resources and the Federal Highway Administration. This option will restore the existing bridge to the previous 15-ton vehicle capacity.
The bridge is a single span steel pin connected Pratt through truss with a timber deck and asphalt overlay, supported on stringers and floor beams. It is 157 feet long, has an overall width of about 14 feet and clear roadway width of 11.16 feet. It carries one alternating traffic lane.
- The bridge was originally erected in 1889 on the Leesburg & Alexandria Turnpike (Route 7) over Goose Creek, to replace a bridge destroyed by flooding.
- In 1932 the bridge was dismantled and moved to its current location.
- The bridge was posted 15 tons in 2004 and reduced to 3 tons in 2013 due to insufficient capacity.
- The existing bridge has an average traffic count of 57 vehicles per day with daily truck traffic less than 3 trucks.
- The bridge was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 25, 1974.
Preliminary Engineering - $940,000
Right of Way Acquisition - $130,000
Construction - $4.5 million
Total - $5.6 million
The project is being financed with federal and state State of Good Repair funds used for maintenance of structures and bridges.
Featherbed Lane averages 60 vehicles a day at the bridge.
The project aims to improve safety and extend the overall life of the historic bridge.
Begin Preliminary Engineering – February 2017
Design Public Hearing - December 2018
Begin Right of Way Acquisition - Late 2019
Begin Construction – Early 2021
Vicente Valeza, Jr., P.E.
Structure & Bridge
Kimberly McCool, P.E.
Other relevant links:
Right of Way Plan Sheets - October 2018
Bridge Plan Sheets - April 2018
Section 106- Determination of Effect - March 2016
Field Site Visit/Meeting - May 2017
- View from the west bank of Catoctin Creek
- Bird's eye view of the proposed maintenance access road
- Proposed grading for the maintenance access road
- Department of Conservation & Recreation opinion
- Sign-in sheet
Stakeholders Meeting - April 2017
Scoping Meeting - March 2017
Stakeholders Meeting - February 2016
Stakeholders Meeting - September 2015
- Existing Conditions Presentation
- Evaluation of Strengthening/Replacement Alternatives Presentation
Stakeholders Meeting - July 2015
Stakeholders Meeting - March 2015
Phase: In Design
UPC: 110498, 105898
State ID: 0673-053-082, P101, R201, B697
Federal ID: STP-BR09 (294), STP-5A01 (949)
Long/Lat: 39.232171, -77.591541