I-95/I-295 Lane Reassignment near the Henrico/Hanover County line
Project at a Glance
Est Completion Date
Approximately $8 million
Brian Ramsey, P.E.
What's Being Done
VDOT recently completed work to improve traffic flow on Interstate 95 north and south between the I-295 interchange and Lewistown Road. The project included reassigning travel lanes to best meet current traffic demand. Repaving and new pavement markings are complete in the area.
Drivers in both directions should experience reduced congestion during peak travel times in this area, with northbound travel times reduced by up to 38% and southbound travel times reduced by up to 50%.
- The existing left lane drop on I-95 north (just north of I-295) is now be a continuous travel lane heading towards Sliding Hill Road.
- The Sliding Hill Road exit (Exit 86) now accommodates two travel lanes on the off-ramp
- The existing left lane drop on I-95 north (just north of Sliding Hill Road) is now be a continuous travel lane heading towards Lewistown Road.
- The right lane is now an exit onto the Lewistown Road ramp (Exit 89).
- The acceleration lane from Sliding Hill Road now continues as a fourth travel lane in this area.
- The center lane on I-95 south is now an option lane that traffic can use to continue travel on I-95 south or take to I-295.
Work was complete using alternating single and double lane closures in both directions from nightly.