Tenth Street Improvements - Roanoke
Est Completion Date
Fairfax Avenue to Andrews Road and Andrews Road to Williamson Road
Lengths and Limits
From: just south of Fairfax Avenue To: Williamson Road
Jim Henegar, P.E.
Increasing traffic volumes and safety concerns for vehicles, pedestrians and bicycles have prompted VDOT and the City of Roanoke to pursue improving the section of 10th Street between Fairfax Avenue and Williamson Road.
Right of way was purchased and the improvements were divided into two separate construction projects. The first project, phase one, began just south of Fairfax Avenue and extended 0.78 mile to just north of Andrews Road. The second project, phase two, starts at Andrews Road and extends 0.93 mile to Williamson Road.
Phase one of the project between Fairfax Avenue and Andrews Road was funded and began in May 2016. It was completed in summer 2018. Phase two of the project between Andrews Road and Williamson Road began in summer 2017 and is expected to be completed in fall 2019.
On May 24, 2016, a public meeting was held about the project. The brochure and a presentation that were shared at this meeting are available below:
On May 17, 2017, another public meeting was held about the project. The brochure and a presentation that were shared at this meeting are available below:
Phase Two - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Andrews Road and Williamson Road
Phase two is a $10.7 million dollar project along the 0.9-mile section of Tenth Street in Roanoke from Andrews Road to Williamson Road. This phase of the project will improve traffic flow and safety for vehicles, pedestrians and bicyclists.
Improvements will include reconstructing the two travel lanes and providing bicycle lanes, curb and gutter, and sidewalks. Traffic signals are also being added or replaced at Tenth Street’s intersections with Hunt Avenue and Williamson Road and turn lanes will be added at the Tenth Street intersection with Hunt Avenue.
Work in Progress:
- Utility and drainage work is being conducted from the intersection of Greenhurst Ave. to the intersection of Andrews Road. Completion: spring 2019.
- Curb and gutter and entrances are being constructed between Williamson Road and Forest Hill Avenue. Completion: fall 2018.
- Roadway grading and stone placement is being performed from Williamson Road to Forest Hill Avenue. When completed, base and intermediate asphalt will be placed. Completion: winter 2018.
- Williamson Road and 10th Street signal installation. Completion: spring/summer 2019.
- Hunt Avenue and 10th Street signal installation. Completion: spring 2019.
Upcoming Schedule of Work:
- Remainder of curb, gutter, sidewalk and steps. Completion: fall 2019.
- Final paving and marking. Completion: fall 2019.
- Landscaping installation. Completion: fall 2019.
Work on the project began in summer 2017 and is expected to be completed in fall 2019.
Phase One - COMPLETED: Fairfax Avenue and Andrews Road
Phase one was a $12-million project from south of Fairfax Avenue to just north of Andrews Road. This phase improved the existing roadway, widened travel lanes, updated signal equipment, provided curb and gutter, sidewalks and bike lanes. Turn lanes were added at 10th Street’s intersections with Hunt Avenue, Grayson Avenue and Orange Avenue. Additional improvements improved the safety and flow of traffic through the area while developing a bicycle/pedestrian friendly environment. Lick Run and the Lick Run Greenway now pass through a concrete arch under 10th Street.
Work began in summer 2016 and was completed in summer 2018.
As different phases are under construction, lane closures and detours will be put in place for through traffic on 10th Street. One lane of traffic will be maintained for local traffic to use 10th Street.
Lane closures may be in place at various locations throughout the project limits. Additional traffic impacts will include road closures to connecting side streets. Message boards will be in place advising motorists of the closures and detour signs will be in place directing traffic around the closures. Local traffic will have access to 10th street.
Detour onto Orange Avenue to Burrell Street to Liberty Road to Williamson Road.
Phase One COMPLETED - Fairfax Avenue to Andrews Road
Work began in May 2016.
Completed in summer 2018.
Phase Two UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Andrews Road to Williamson Road
Work began in summer 2017.
Estijmated completion is fall 2019.
- May 2017 - A "Pardon Our Dust" meeting was held for Phase Two of the project.
- May 2016 - A "Pardon Our Dust" Meeting to share information about the construction aspects and traffic impacts of the project was held.
- July 2009 - A public hearing was held on the 10th Street project.