Northern Virginia Bicycle Resources
Car Free Day in Metro D.C.
Go "car-free" or "car-lite" for a day and make a difference by bicycling, walking, teleworking, carpooling, vanpooling or taking transit. You can still pledge even if you’re already car-free. For more information visit www.carfreemetrodc.com.
Bike to Work Day in the Washington, D.C. Area
Join thousands of area commuters for a celebration of bicycling as a clean, fun and healthy way to get to work! Meet up with your neighbors at pit stops all over the region. Washington Area Bicyclist Association and Commuter Connections invite you to try bicycling to work as an alternative to solo driving. Help the Washington region become a better place to ride. Bike to Work Day is a FREE event and open to all area commuters.
Northern Virginia Bicycle Locker Program
Bicycle lockers are available for an annual fee at several VDOT park-and-ride lots to assist parking your bike for commuting. You can reserve a bicycle locker, based on availability, by first checking with the Transportation Office at 703-383-2233 to confirm vacancy.
The Bicycle Locker User Agreement must be completed and submitted along with payment when a locker is available. Availability is based on date of application and fee receipt. Online applications cannot be accepted. Please call 703-383-2233 with questions. Completed Bicycle Locker User Agreements should be submitted to:
Bicycle Locker Program Manager
VDOT Northern Virginia Transportation Planning
4975 Alliance Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
Studies and Surveys
Concerned with developing a regional transportation system for bicycling in Northern Virginia, the VDOT Northern Virginia Bikeway and Trail Network Study provides a coordinated and strategic approach for identifying and developing bicycling facilities in the area.
The Northern Virginia Bicycle Rider survey was conducted with area bicycle commuters during the 2004 Bike To Work Day. This snapshot of results provides information on current northern Virginia ridership trends. As part of the ongoing effort to better understand the nature of our area and bicycle commuters, bicycle and pedestrian counts were completed along the northern Virginia trail network. The collected data established a threshold of the area’s bicycle and pedestrian usage (2005/06), examine movements, monitor key locations, as well as help determine future efforts.
Other Resources and Information
- Download the official 'Bicycling in Virginia' map
- State Policy on Integrating Bicycle and Pedestrian Accommodations
- Laws for Interacting on the Road: Pedestrians, Bicyclists and Motorists (Report published July 2010)
- Bicycling and Walking in Virginia
- Laws and Safety Tips
- Planning - Incorporating Bicycling into a Transportation System (excerpt from 'Bicycle Facilities Resource Guide' - you can order a full copy of this guide online)
- Bicyclists and Paving in Northern Virginia (FAQ) - The district's program aims to improve on-road bicycling facilities, where possible, when we re-pave a road. This program has several components and is always planned far in advance of the paving season. See the FAQ for details.
Park-and-Ride and Commuter Lots