Traffic Management Centers
VDOT's Traffic Management Centers are designed to keep Virginia moving.
Technology to Keep Virginia Moving
- Smart Travel Laboratory at the University of Virginia, is a state-of-the-art facility supporting research and education in the rapidly emerging area of intelligent transportation systems (ITS).
- Virginia's Smart Road snows and rains on command and is paving the way for driving improvements.
- E-ZPass is an electronic collection system that moves traffic through toll facilities in Virginia and along much of the East Coast. Motorists with an E-ZPass transponder can travel through clearly marked E-ZPass toll lanes.
The toll is automatically deducted from a pre-paid account. In Virginia, the E-ZPass system has also been known as Smart Tag.
- VDOT's Traffic Management Centers use the latest technology to assist in congestion mitigation, incident management and traffic planning efforts in these metropolitan areas.
Smart Traffic Centers in Northern Virginia
VDOT's Northern Region Operations (NRO) has several documents that describe the vision, goals and activities of the NRO and that offer guidance in working with the NRO regional architecture:
- VDOT NRO Program Plan: The executive summary provides a high-level description of program activity areas and program development methodology. The program plan provides details regarding specific project activities for the fiscal year, and how those map to the program activity areas.
- VDOT NRO Regional Architecture User Guide – describes the architecture, details how to use the architecture via the architecture Web site, and provides a checklist that can be used to achieve Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Rule 940 compliance for projects.
I-81 Traffic Management Centers
Statewide Travel Planning
Smart Travel Strategic Plan 2001
Smart Travel Implementation Framework - June 2004 offers guidance on the roles and responsibilities of the Smart Travel Program in Virginia, the planning and programming of the Smart Travel Program at the project level, and project-level implementation issues and barriers.
ITS/CVO Business Plan describes the Commonwealth of Virginia's Intelligent Transportation Systems/Commercial Vehicle Operations activities throughout the state.
ITS Virginia, the Intelligent Transportation Society of Virginia, serves as a forum within which public and private organizations can work cooperatively to advance intelligent transportation technology in the Commonwealth.
Nationwide Intelligent Transportation Efforts
ITS America fosters public/private partnerships to increase the safety and efficiency of surface transportation through the application of advanced technologies.
Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) Contacts
Name, phone and e-mail addresses