Staunton District Legislative Update - Summer 2022
Randy Kiser, P.E.
I am pleased to share with you the Summer 2022 Staunton District Legislative Update.
On August 1, 2022 the SMART Scale application process will close for Round 5 new application submittals. Cost estimates on the new applications will be subject to change pending validation analysis that will take place in the fall of 2022. Scoring will take place in early 2023. A list of submitted applications will be provided to you in August once all applications are submitted and the application period closes.
As we previously shared with you our SMART Scale progress includes $79 million ($52 million District Grant and $27 million High Priority) for funding of 22 projects from Round 4 of the application process. In June 2021, the Commonwealth Transportation Board provided this funding in the Fiscal Year 2022-2027 Six Year Improvement Program.
Work on the Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Plan (I-81 CIP) continues to rapidly develop. A complete listing of I-81 projects along with informative updates can be found on Improve81.org website, which supports the I-81 CIP program.
I-81 CIP public involvement opportunities continue into 2022.
- I-81 CIP Southbound, exits 221-220, Augusta County auxiliary lane. Public hearing held June 23, 2021. Construction June 2023.
- I-81 CIP Northbound and southbound, exits 221-225, Augusta County widening. Citizen information meeting held August 24, 2021. Public hearing held May 24, 2022. Construction 2024. This will be a Design-Build project with a fall 2022 advertisement date.
- I-81 CIP Northbound and southbound mile markers 233-237, truck climbing lanes, Rockingham County. Public hearing on July 27, 2022. Construction 2024
- I-81 CIP Northbound and southbound, exits 243 – 247, mile markers 242-248.8, Harrisonburg Widening. Citizen information meeting held on September 14, 2021. Public hearing held on June 28, 2022. Construction 2024.
- I-81 CIP Southbound, exits 300 – 296, Strasburg widening. Public hearing held on April 20, 2022. Construction 2024.
Please see the Interstate 81 Project Map. This map has two pages. The first is a listing of projects that are funded, active, under construction or completed within the Staunton District. The second page is a map of the Staunton District I-81 projects listed in the Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Plan.
Since August of 2021 we have completed several major projects. These listings have been removed in this issue but we want to acknowledge these significant construction milestones:
- Alleghany County - Route 696 (Selma-Low Moor Road) - Karnes Creek Bridge. Bridge replacement of the Karnes Creek bridges on Route 696 (Selma-Low Moor Road) and Route 1308 (Garland Road) with a single structure on Route 696. Contract valued at $2,588,794.
- City of Waynesboro - Waynesboro Town Center Park and Ride. Repave and add parking spaces and transit facilities to the Waynesboro Town Center Park and Ride lot. This lot is located in the southeastern corner of the Interstate 64 and Route 340 interchange at exit 94. Contract valued at $1,020,026.
- Frederick County - Locally Administered - Crossover Boulevard and Airport Road. Build connector road between Route 522 and Pleasant Valley Road. The project includes a flyover bridge across Interstate 81 on Crossover Boulevard. This is a Revenue Sharing project and was locally administered. Airport Road project extends from Route 522 to Tevis Street. The project length is 0.6-mile long. Contract value for Crossover Boulevard is $12,201,445, Revenue Sharing project. Contract value for Airport Road is $8,1341,266.
- City of Harrisonburg - Locally Administered - Bike/Ped Garbers Church Road. Construct facilities for pedestrians and bicycles along Garbers Church Road. Connects trail to Hillandale Park in Harrisonburg. The project is 1.52 mile long and extends from Erickson Avenue to Wyndham Drive. Contract valued at $2,330,113.
- Warren County - Route 624 (Happy Creek Road) -Safety Improvements - Safety improvements from the Town of Front Royal Eastern Corporate limits to Route 645 (Manassas Run Road). Widen lanes to 11 feet, reducing fixed object hazards, increasing intersection capacity and improving drainage, curve reduced to improve visibility. At-grade crossing for the Norfolk Southern Railroad, provide reflective signs and chevrons. Turn lanes constructed on Route 624 at Route 647 (Dismal Hollow Road). Contract valued at $1,736,387.
This issue of the Legislative Update provides you a county-by-county summary featuring the 11 counties within the VDOT Staunton District. This on-line overview contains projects that are either in their later development stages, later planning stages or are under construction.
We welcome your comments and questions. Please feel free to contact our residency administrators or me at your convenience. I am also very happy to meet with you and your staff in person to discuss the VDOT Staunton District projects and programs.
VDOT Staunton District
811 Commerce Road
Staunton, VA 24401-9029
Residency Administrator contact information:
Susan Hammond, Lexington Residency Administrator
Covers Highland, Alleghany, Rockbridge and Bath counties
275 Alphin Lane
Lexington, VA 24450
Don Komara, Harrisonburg Residency Administrator
Covers Augusta, Rockingham and Page counties
3536 North Valley Pike
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
Ed Carter, Edinburg Residency Administrator
Covers Frederick, Shenandoah, Clarke and Warren counties
14031 Old Valley Pike
Edinburg, VA 22824