In Design: Route 50 Corridor Improvements in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties
Cost and schedule ►
This project will make safety and operational improvements at several locations along a six-mile stretch of Route 50 (John S. Mosby Highway) between Gum Spring Road (Route 659) and Centreville Road (Route 657).
The improvements include:
- Replacing the northbound Gum Spring Road right turn lanes at Route 50 with a free-flow right turn lane and a new eastbound Route 50 merge lane from Gum Spring Road to Hutchinson Farm Drive
- Extending the westbound Route 50 left turn lanes at Gum Spring Road
- Extending the eastbound Route 50 left turn lane at Loudoun County Parkway
- Converting a westbound left turn lane at Pleasant Valley Road (Loudoun) to an auxiliary through lane running to Tall Cedars Parkway
- Improving traffic signal timing and the intersection layout at Avion Parkway
- Improving traffic signal equipment and timing at Centreville Road
Route 50 averages up to 71,000 vehicles a day within the project limits.
Preliminary Engineering: $1.3 million
Construction: $9.4 million
Total: $10.7 million
The project is financed with federal, state (including Smart Scale) and Loudoun County funding.
The project aims to relieve congestion and improve safety and operations.
Begin Preliminary Engineering: April 2019
Begin Construction: Mid 2024
W. Calvin Britt, P.E.
Location & Design
Kimberly McCool, P.E.
Preliminary Engineering (Loudoun)
Andrew Beacher, P.E.
Preliminary Engineering (Fairfax)
Phase: In Design
UPC: 114827, 114828
State ID: 0050-053-211, P101; 0050-M10-010, P101
Federal ID: HIP-5B01 (043); HIP-5B01 (042)
Lat/Long: 38.911217, -77.473252
Locality: Fairfax and Loudoun